Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Picture is Worth...


While we are on the subject of inspiration....a few years ago, I finally got my sweet husband interested in a trip to Shetland...a return trip for me, first time for him. It took the European Tall Ships anchored in Lerwick harbor to get him there, but we made it.

Lerwick Harbour with Tall Ships
The topic of our trip came up later in a conversation with Shannon Okey (Cooperative Press) and before I knew it, I had agreed to write an article for the first issue of Knit Edge. Shannon's good.

What in the world could I write for a knitting magazine about Shetland that hadn't been covered before? I had wonderful memories...and hundreds of sightseeing/tourist type photographs...as opposed to knitting and fiber photos.

I came up with the concept of taking the reader along with us on our tour....and using a few of the photographs as the inspiration for swatches using Jamieson & Smith, Shetland 2ply yarn. The article was entitled "Shetland by the Colors" and here are some of the swatches and their inspiration...

St Ninian's Isle
St Ninian swatch
Sandbar
Sandbar swatch
Wildflowers at Hermaness

Wildflowers
Next time: More inspiration photos and swatches. I figured a picture is worth a swatch or two..or three...or four. (I had a good time with this project!) The article also included a pattern designed from one of the swatches. I'll include a link next time.

Varian
brandonknittingdesigns.com
Ravelry: varianbrandon

No comments:

Post a Comment