Monday, June 23, 2014

6.23.14

I have a couple of things to talk about today.

First of all, I take a walk almost every morning. About 25 minutes up the road to a bald spot that used to be part of an apple orchard. The views of the mountains are pretty spectacular from up there.

This morning my golden and I witnessed slightly different views...










































This was the view from our deck....















I know it is weird...but I actually love the fog. It's kind of mystical...and I'm a nut for fantasy/science fiction.

Ok, now that I've revealed that guilty pleasure...let's move on to what's on my needles.

Last month, I received a request to create a hat pattern for The National Needle Arts Association (TNNA) meeting. The request came from The Yarn Sisters, the American distributor of Zealana yarns (New Zealand company). It came with a few requirements....3 colors of AIR (cashmere, silk, and brush tail possum...can you say soft!!)...wound into 10gram mini skeins which equals about 194 yrds. Oh, forgot to mention, AIR is lace weight. Most hats require around 200 yards...so I knew it would be tight...yarn-wise.

Also..the request came in 2 weeks before TNNA. So designed, sample made, pattern written up, and sample photographed in less than 2 weeks. I ran a bit out of time...and had to compromise on chose of models, but I got it done. So here it is...Teggala, the hat.






















Now I'm working on Teggala, the mitts...















The idea is to be able to make both the hat and the mitts with 3 full skeins of AIR. I'm working on both mitts at the same time so I can monitor the yarn usage, but it is not something I would recommend. The tangles have a mind of their own. ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok...I'm off to get back to my knitting.

Take care.


No comments:

Post a Comment