Monday, October 13, 2014

This week on Elfin Tweed....

Elfin Tweed update...
(There will be a real name for this project...I promise.)

Previously on Elfin Tweed...

Step 1 - skeins

Since we last met, these skeins of Knit One, Crochet Too Elfin Tweed fingering weight (60% merino, 20% baby llama, 10% bamboo, 10% Donegal, 208 yards, 191 meters) became...
Step 2 - yarn cakes


Then I had a blast playing around with my source books and charting software and this swatch resulted.
Un-named Elfin Tweed project swatch 1

For the record...I kinda like the overall effect...but not sure about the exact color placement. Needle size - US 2 (2.75mm)....but I'm thinking I may go up to US 3 (3.25mm) or further for a bit more drape.

However, one of the reasons for a fairly dense fabric for color work is so the floats don't show from the back. So we'll see....

If you are wondering what the massive mess is at the bottom of the picture, I am swatching without breaking the yarn and just sliding from one end of the circular needles to the other which creates long floats across the back. This way I can make a number of swatches and still have enough to do the project.

So there you have it...yet to be named Elfin Tweed project...first swatch. What do you think?

Varian
brandonknittingdesigns.com
Ravelry: varianbrandon

1 comment: