Friday, October 17, 2014

To Be Vertical or Horizontal....that is the question.

I have been swatching away....and trying a different color arrangement for the chart for the Elfin Tweed shawl project.

Here's the swatch....

The bottom motif is the original color placement. The top motif is the adjusted color placement.


I'm thinking I like the adjusted one best.

The next question...
Do the stranded work "stripes" go vertically or horizontally? In other words, when you are wearing the shawl, are there short stripes that stretch the width of the shawl...or do the stripes go from end to end length-wise? 

For the vertical version, the knitter would cast on the width's worth of stitches (approx. 200 sts) and work from side to side 

For the horizontal version, the knitter will cast on the length's worth of stitches (approx. 500 sts) work from end to end.

The more research I do, the more I think I like the horizontal option the best, in spite of casting on 500 sts. Then again...

Maybe I'll just think about it some more.....while I'm work on the border.

Varian
Ravelry: varianbrandon

No comments:

Post a Comment