Monday, October 27, 2014

Fiber Festival Enjoyment Plan

This past weekend I drove over to Asheville to the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair...or SAFF.


Just as the name indicates...this yearly gathering is a combination of fiber and things made form fiber...



and animals.





Have you ever been to a fiber festival? You really should go at least once...

...and just in case you need a fiber festival enjoyment plan...here is a list of my favorite things to do at these wonderful fiber gatherings...in no particular order.

Buy fiber. 
Ok, no brainer, but it had to be said.

Meet with other fiber friends
I met with Misty of the Handmade Podcast, Ashley (Carolina Spinner on Ravelry), and Jen from FibroFibers.

I also ran into a number of friends from the Kanuga Knitting and Quilting Retreat

...as well as Sharon Bogenschutz and Karen Cross of Camelid Cottage, their fiber show hang out. These gals coordinate the Georgia Alpaca Fiber Festival when they are not operating their own fiber businesses. Busy ladies.



Watch the enthusiasm of other planned and impromptu meet ups. 
Fiber festivals are great places to people watch. I heard lots of excited squeals and "Oh, my gosh, I haven't seen you in years!" and "I was wondering if I was going to see you again this year."

Check out what others have bought.
You never know...someone may have found just the thing you cannot live without.

Talk with indy dyers.
I'll admit it...I'm probably never going to start dying my own yarn. There are too many fabulous dyers out there creating gorgeous yarns. But I have learned so much about what goes into dying,,,both on the production and marketing side...by just talking with these creative folks.

Misty of the Handmade podcast as well as Jen from Fibrofibers that I mentioned earlier are both dyers.

I also spoke with Sarah of The Copper Corgi and Gryphon from The Verdant Gryphon.

Talk with animal owners.
Each year at SAFF I check in with  the folks at Hidaway Farms who raise Shetland and Icelandic sheep. I learn a wealth of information by talking with Christine and her daughter Katie about the trials and tribulations of raising animals. It makes me feel closer to the fiber to have an inside look into where the fiber comes from..as well as an appreciation for the work that fiber animal owners do.

Other hints...wear comfortable shoes, set at limit on spending (you will be tempted), practice smiling...because you will be smiling a lot....and have a good time!

Here is a list of fiber festivals by region. Since it is now October...most have happened already..but you can make a note for next year.

New motto...visit a fiber festival and find a friend!

Varian
Brandon Knitting Designs
Ravelry
Pinterest
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment